Planning Your Trip: Follow in Dylan's Footsteps
- Visit Dylan Thomas’ birthplace at 5 Cwmdonkin Drive in Swansea. The home now acts as an accommodation as well as a restaurant. Don’t want to spend the night? You can go on a guided tour of the house as well.
- Swansea Marina is home to Dylan Thomas Square where you will find statues commemorating the life and work of the poet.
- The Dylan Thomas Centre features themed events as well as a permanent multimedia exhibition entitled ‘Man and Myth.’
- Dylan’s Bookstore, is dedicated to the poet and offers a unique collection of memorabilia.
Visit Swansea's website for more information.
- Brown’s Hotel.
Enjoy a pint or stay the night at one of Dylan’s favorite pubs, the
- Dylan Thomas wrote many of his works including, ‘Poem on his Birthday’ and ‘Under Milk Wood’ at the now famous, Dylan Thomas Boathouse. This house rests on the cliff-side overlooking the River Taf Estuary. Here, visitors can enjoy memorabilia and his writing shed.
- Laugharne Castle (pictured right) was once owned by the writer Richard Hughes. Dylan often stayed with him and used the gazebo on the grounds when writing.
Visit Carmarthenshire's website for more information.
- Fishguard in Pembrokeshire provided the backdrop for the fictional town of Llareggub in the film adaptation of ‘Under Milk Wood’ starring Welshman Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor.
Visit Pembrokeshire's website for more information.
- Chat with locals at one of Dylan’s favorite pubs, The Black Lion, described in ‘Quite Early One Morning’ as a ‘pink washed pub…waiting for Saturday night as an over-jolly girl waits for sailors’.
- Just outside the seaside town of New Quay (pictured right) you will find ‘Majoda,’ the bungalow that Dylan Thomas rented in 1944 – one of the most prolific periods in his writing career. You can also walk the Dylan Thomas Trail in New Quay, which takes you to spots he frequented in the area.
Visit Ceredigion's website for more information.
Want to learn to write like a literary legend?
Enroll in the 2014 Dylan Thomas International Summer School.
Check out the brochure below to learn more.
For more information on DT100 visit the official website here. And for additional itinerary suggestions visit our international site.